The book, "Blankets," by Craig Thompson, is very much a young adult book. I count it as one of my favorite pieces of literature. There are themes contained therein that I believe would not be able to be understood by most children. Also, the nudity mentioned in the article is tastefully done, as it pertains to the process of teens developing their sexual identities. The growing genre of adult graphic novels will continue to gain acceptance by the general public as a valid means of telling a mature, adult story. I agree that libraries should not misrepresent these books as cartoonish and, therefore, shelve the book within sections perused by children.
"Persepolis" is Marjane Satrapi's wise, funny, and heartbreaking memoir of growing up in Iran during the Islamic Revolution. This KSC Summer Reading Book is now being discussed in English 101 classes.
Assistant Director/Head of Public Services.
I have held many positions as a librarian in many types of libraries. I have been at Mason Library for 4 years and I have been in my current role since July 2006.
Last year the library posted from it's home web page, links to questions about the summer reading novel "Mountains Beyond Mountains." This year we decided to host a blog instead to create an actual discussion about our current novel,"Persepolis." It is our hope that students who have read this novel will share their thoughts, likes, dislikes and opinions on the questions posted.
2 Comments:
The book, "Blankets," by Craig Thompson, is very much a young adult book. I count it as one of my favorite pieces of literature. There are themes contained therein that I believe would not be able to be understood by most children. Also, the nudity mentioned in the article is tastefully done, as it pertains to the process of teens developing their sexual identities. The growing genre of adult graphic novels will continue to gain acceptance by the general public as a valid means of telling a mature, adult story. I agree that libraries should not misrepresent these books as cartoonish and, therefore, shelve the book within sections perused by children.
By
Anonymous, at 4:03 PM
I just wanted to throw in that Blankets by Craig Thompson is in the collection at Mason Library. Take a look:
http://ksclib.keene.edu/record=b1533336
By
Anonymous, at 1:53 PM
Post a Comment
<< Home